Scavenger Hunt

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Gloucester Cathedral

Hi there folks.
Apologies for not making my usual Sunday evening post.  
I do have a good excuse ~ I was trying to fill in my Tax Form on line ~ the less said about that the better!
Anyhoo what have I been up to?
 On Monday our whole school went to visit Gloucester Cathedral.
As you can see from this picture it is undergoing some renovation at the moment.
Some of the gargoyles have eroded away so stone masons have made completely new ones.
Here he is in situ.  Did you know a gargoyle is a water spout?  
It it doesn't have a water spout like this one it is just a grotesque.
The entrance.
You may recognise the Cloisters even if you have never been there.
They have been used in the Harry Potter films.
There is of course, lots of impressive stained glass.  The East window is not very colourful, but is the largest piece of Mediaeval glass in the country and is the size of a tennis court.
One of my favourite pieces is in the Blue Chapel.  This is only 20 years old and is made up of 3 panels.  Even with a gaggle of schoolchildren the window is very 'noisy'.  I hear storms at sea, winds blowing and people shouting.  It is beautiful.
 This more traditional window is in the cloisters.
The children had a fabulous time and there's not much they don't know about the Cathedral now!

We've had a little bit of cold weather, causing some stunning sunsets. 
 This one I snapped as I left Tesco the other evening.  
The weather has now gone warmer again.  Yesterday -2 degrees, today 7 degrees!  What's going on?
 Most of my time over the last week has been taken up by my Summer Granny Blanket.  I've had a massive sewing in session ~ 6 ends for each square!  I need to lay the squares out again to see just where I am.

I have also been playing "Words with Friends" quite a lot.  It's a free app you can get for I-phone and I-pad and it's also free from the Android store.  
Look at this score!  72!  All seven letters!  Waaaayyy.
If you've got the app and fancy a game my user name is Clicky Needles.  
 I also got a delivery of undyed yarn, so I've been busy with that.  Hopefully I'll show pictures next time.

Have a great week, bye for now..................Clicky Needles.

9 comments:

  1. Fun post! Loved seeing the cathedral and stained glass windows. I prefer the historic ones to the modern one. I play WWF - and just did a search for you and did not find you. You can try to find me, I'm "Teresa Shaklee Kasner" on Facebook. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine isn't on Facebook Teresa. I just have an account through the app.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I haven't been to that Cathedral for quite a few years. OH and I had a spate of going to a different one each weekend. Lovely images, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those gargoyles are wonderful, but the carving on the entrance to the cathedral is stunning. I don't have an I phone or I pad, but I play Scrabble online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun trip - it's always good to hear that children have enjoyed visiting such historic buildings. I think sometimes that we forget that they don't need technology to fire their enthusiasm. Are you going to have them make their own stained glass windows or write a story based on one of the scenes depicted?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cathedral is a fave of mine. Windows great. Was watching Harry Potter film the other night and said "There are the cloisters!" every time they were on. Hope the Cathedral made lots of money from the films because the upkeep must cost loads. We were in Canterbury once but didn't go in the cathedral because they charged £12 !! I don't mind giving a fiver. We were told always take binoculars when visiting to help see things - great idea. dojo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are gorgeous, the windows are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you know I love stained glass so those photos really brightened a dull Friday. I will be the proud owner of an iphone in a week or two and I will definately be downloading that App then the little housework I get round to between projects will be reduced to NIL !
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gargoyle. Wouldn't that be a great play for Words With Friends. As a sometimes blogger myself, Words With Friends seems a more appropriate time-waster than, say, television. Bottom line, my blog has more word game posts than thoughtful entries. Distracted by WWF and TV. I will always justify my TV time as long as I can tie it back to wordplay. Blame my love of Scrabble, WWF and TV trivia for me creating my blog and the anagrams I invent. Still, all these distractions keep me from blogging like you do.
    Leona

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in to read my ramblings!
Please leave a comment ~ I do appreciate them.

Clicky Needles.