Scavenger Hunt

Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Tea Towel Tote

Hello All!

Well, it's half term and I have another lurgy, which is of course, what happens to us school people.  I'm all blocked up and sinusy, the sort when you lean forward, your head hurts. 
I'm trying not to let it get in may way. 

I promised myself a sewing day.   I can sew in straight lines and am of the generation that were taught how to sew in secondary school.  I made dresses for Miss Clicky when she was little but I don't really use my machine much these days.   I've been trawling Pinterest for bag patterns over the last few months and have pinned more bags than I can possibly do.  I had fabric (more about that later) but nothing suitable for the handles so I popped down to Favourite Fabrics in Gloucester.  They are an eBay shop but open to the public from 8.00am-4.00pm, Monday to Friday.

They had lots of lovely fabric (sorry for the rubbish photos the lights were very bright)

and lots of lovely ribbons, tapes and bias binding.
I bought this selection of fat quarters 
and some plain webbing for bag handles.
 And onto my bag.  I had bought these tea towels in Tesco about a year ago with intention of making something with it.
I pushed the dining table against the wall and made myself a sewing corner.  As I laid everything out Maisie said she wanted to keep an eye on me the make sure I did it right.
I used the Purl Bee 40 Minute Tote Pattern which can found here.  I loved the idea of a reversible bag but decided I didn't want a pocket.   As I mentioned the fabric was tea towels, and I decided to leave the hems on.  Mistake No 1.
Mistake No 2 came when I (very proudly) looked at my bag and lining side by side.   I'd made my first boxed bottom.  Spot my mistake yet?  Yes, both the lining and the outer are made with good side out.  Obviously when the two are sewn together and you try the reverse the bag it won't work.  Maisie gave me a disapproving look and I undid the stripy bag.  I sewed it again and it was wrong.......again.  Luckily it was right a third time.   When I got ready to stitch the two bags together Mistake No 1 reared it's ugly head.  Leaving the seams on the edges meant that there were a lot of layers of fabric to get through.  Impossible.
I had to stitch up to the seam by hand and oversewed the lumpy bit.  The pattern said to sew down the edge seam from the top to join the lining and outer together but again, that was impossible.  Instead I stab stitched through the bottom corners.
Maisie forgave me in the end and even agreed to model for me.
She prefers the stripy side, but it's the spots for me.
I love the way they look together.
And I am over the moon with the result.
I've also learnt some lessons.  The usual one, don't think 'I've got this,' that's always when it goes wrong, don't leave the seams on the tea towels...oh and make sure you take all the pins out of your fabric before you stitch together.  I found 3 pins sealed inside, I had to cut the metal of the pin with pliers,  leaving the round head inside.  I suppose it makes my bag more unique!
And lastly I'll leave you with a picture of the dog, ~who loves sunlight~ catching a few rays on the stairs.
I'll see you soon, as always have fun.

Clicky Needles.

Saturday, 7 February 2015

Basket Making

Hello folks!

Last Saturday I was lucky enough to go on a basket making course, organised by my knitting pal Romain for her W.I.  There was an unexpected space, so she asked me if I fancied it.  I jumped at the chance.

The tutor was a lovely local basket maker. 
I had thought that the structure would be complicated but once it was explained, not so much.
Firstly you make the base. 
When that is complete you can start working upwards...
..until you reach the height you want, and then you can bend over and tuck in the top.
This was my first attempt, I used all the different colours of willow that were available.
This was my second basket, which was much quicker.  
 For this I used stripped (white) and steamed willow which makes the natural colour go dark.  A bit holey, but not too bad.
At the end of the day there was a big array of different colours and sizes. 
 I really enjoyed it.  Will I try it again?  Maybe.
The other thing I need to show you today is my new quilt cover.  It came from Tesco, I missed it last winter and happened across it a few weeks ago whilst browsing the Tesco website.
I was really miffed when I couldn't get it and I guess you can see why.
A super soft and cosy brushed cotton cover, and IT'S KNITTED!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, not really knitted but a knitted print.
I love this sooooooooooo much. 
 Mr Clicky was less impressed, "I've got to sleep in knitting too?"  
Yes Mr C, you do.
It's really chilly at the moment so a brushed cotton cover is just what we need.

Righto, I'll see you soon, as always, have fun.

Clicky Needles. x

Sunday, 1 February 2015

My Kitchen Window Sill

When I was out shopping the other day in the supermarket I looked through the reduced flower bucket.  I stopped for a moment and realised I my kitchen window sill has actually got flowers on already.  It is north facing and therefore fairly cool, pot plants do really well there.

Firstly, the amaryllis is fully out.  A lovely soft pink and white.
Next to that a very fragrant jasmine.  I bought one for Mum for Christmas and one for me too.  This is filling the kitchen with beautiful scent.
Next, a cyclamen  which was given to me 4 years ago.  I've managed to keep it alive and it flowers all through the winter.
Then we have Camile the 25p camelia that Miss Clicky got from work
and an orchid that was given to me by a neighbour for my birthday several years ago.
So really, I probably don't need to buy flowers.

One other thing to show you today, some lovely velvet ribbon from Tiger.  Just because......

See you soon ... Clicky Needles.