Scavenger Hunt

Monday 4 November 2019

Crochet Cardigan

Hello Folks!

As much as I have enjoyed embroidery and sewing things on my vintage Singers, I have also been indulging in some Box Set crochet.

I have been interested obsessed by Finnish Artist Oma Koppa.  I'm not sure that she blogs any more but I came across this post and knew I needed to have a go.   She draws lovely pictures of her crochet with chalk which, upon first glance, appear to be clear instructions but as I tried to work them out, a little improvisation was needed.  

I had some Drops Nepal languishing in my stash so I pulled it out.

The cardigan is a very simple boxy shape and was pretty easy to do.  


















Once I had the motifs worked out, I made 9 for the back and 12 for the front.















I crochet joined the motifs through the back loop with a slip stitch.



















There was a bit of faffing and undoing to get the arm holes the right size and when I had sorted them out there was even more faffing with the sleeves.  The first one was too baggy so that was ripped back but as they are a treble and a chain they were quick and easy to do.  I decreased every six rows or so, trying on for size all the time.























I made the sleeves to come just over my wrists,




















and added a scalloped edge 


























which made the sleeves bell out.




















I continued the scalloped edge around the bottom and neck.




















Working without a pattern was incredibly liberating and as you can probably tell, I have really enjoyed making this.  It's been just the thing for our colder weather.  Later on today I am catching my flight back to the UK and the cardigan is staying here.

I have got a helix stripes toe-up sock started for the journey and I have moved my seat to the rear of the plane for 4 reasons.  1.  Empty seats ~ when I checked in ~ around me.  2.  Toilets near  3. Aisle seat and 4. Close to the flight crew ~ I have found when I knit with my light on I get lots of offers of 'something to drink?' 

I'm waiting for Mr Clicky to get in from work and take me to O'Hare.  It's been a bit mad being here, when I came it was Summer and now it's nearly Christmas.  Phew.  I am so looking forward to catching up with family and friends and of course, Baby Needles.  She was 2 months when I left and now she is nearly 5 months.  She has changed so much, I have lots of cuddles to get in and make up for lost time.

See you soon.............Clicky Needles.




3 comments:

  1. Bravo on the amazing sweater! I hope you have a safe and speedy flight. Have fun with the baby!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cardigan looks good, great result for playing around and working it out as you go. I spent last night working out a pattern for a pointy cowl that turns into a hat....fun knitting when you get it right.
    Have fun smothering baby clicky with cuddles and kisses....watch out Ravelry , knitting Nan is about to strike.πŸ’•πŸ§ΆπŸ˜

    ReplyDelete
  3. No pattern? Really you are amazing and it looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in to read my ramblings!
Please leave a comment ~ I do appreciate them.

Clicky Needles.