I have been busy making things for Baby Needles. Firstly a dress. I found this really cute fabric when I went into Stroud the other week.
It's Rose and Hubble and really soft. I seem to like all Rose and Hubble prints, this sheep and lambs being no exception.
I found a pattern on Pinterest which went up to a year so I scaled it up a bit for Baby Needles.
My black Featherweight, Eveline was out so that's what I used to make it.
It all went well, although I did get my modern machine out for the buttonholes on the shoulders. I do have a vintage buttonholer attachment but I have not yet got it working fully. With this piece of kit you drop or cover the feed dogs and the attachment moves the fabric, rather than the needle moving. Nifty.
As always, there were a lot of things that I could have done differently, the waist gathering is a bit non-existent at the edges because I didn't run my gathering stitches long enough and the bodice is a bit wonky too. But, the front of the bodice is 'stitched in the ditch' and you can barely see it, so that's a plus.
I scrabbled around in my button box and eventually found two buttons that matched, not the green I was hoping for, but pale pink.
I kept the skirt quite short as Baby Needles is in the half crawl half walk stage and I didn't want it to be getting in the way.
Miss Clicky has gone back to work after her maternity leave and furlough so Baby Needles is spending two days with a childminder and day each with me and the other granny. It has been lovely having her for a day all to myself and fun to see the world through a baby's eyes again. This week she fell asleep sitting on my lap and lying back on my hands while I sang two renditions of "My Ship Sails to China' and was out like light for 1 1/2 hours. Miss Clicky complained that 'She won't do that for me!' I told her she doesn't have the granny touch!
When she is at the Childminder Miss Clicky needs a wet bag for changes of clothes and washable nappies. I whipped one up the other afternoon.
I needed a waterproof fabric for the inside, so I hopped into the attic and found some orange woven nylon that I had stashed. A white shower curtain would probably have been better but I didn't have one at short notice. I found a pattern here.
This involved another zip, which didn't go in too badly this time,
the outer fabric is a ladybird print fabric from Minerva Fabrics.
The orange doesn't show too much from the outside, you just get a shock when you open it! It also has a tag on so you can tug on the zip to shut.
This bag is quite big, 52cm x 35cm and I am going to make another big and some smaller bags too. All good for that zip putting in practise!
Well that's me for now, looks like we are in for a rainy few days, I hope it's better where you are.
Bye for now.....................Clicky Needles