Scavenger Hunt

Sunday 26 April 2020

Sewing for the NHS

Hello there.

Well, I have definitely awol lately.  I spent my two weeks self isolating and decided that I would spend my time sewing for the NHS.  Sewists or sewers (not the underground sort) were asked to help make scrub bags, hats or scrubs themselves.  I set up my machines in the garden, the majority of sewing being done on my 1945 Singer 201 and any zigzagging done on the modern Brother.  I started off making laundry bags and some shocking pink scrub hats from old duvet covers.
























I then decided to make some of the much needed scrubs.  I was delivered a roll of black fabric and a pattern and set about cutting and making.  At this point I need to tell you that I have not made a garment for 20 years and I have never made trousers.  There was a lot of bad language and quite a bit of seam unpicking too but eventually I got three pairs of black scrubs made.  They took me a long time, all the seams were French Seamed as I haven't got an overlocker.  I got some tape for the waistband from Amazon, I went for bright.















I popped a crochet heart in the pockets.
















In the meantime more green pairs delivered to make too.  I found it to be hard, and less and less enjoyable.















In the end I made 17 bags 7 hats 

and 5 sets of scrubs.  They were collected today and will be given to people in the NHS that need them.  I have decided to leave the sewing to more experienced people than me.  I was pleased to think that I have helped out in the fight against this horrible virus in a very small way.



That's me for now, I'm off to read all the blogs I have missed out on over the last few weeks.

Bye for now...........Clicky Needles.

6 comments:

  1. As an NHS worker: thank you! We had some Christmas fabric scrubs and believe me, they were much coveted and appreciated. Same as your crochet heart - if I found that in my pocket, I'd be smiling all day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cybele. I have just been reading your blog and the amazing work that you are doing. Thank YOU for what you are doing. Cn X

      Delete
  2. Bravo! I was about to say that you are welcome to use my overlocker before I read that you'd finished. But if you change your mind, it's here! (and could be left on a gatepost for collection ) Nice work all round though. Well done x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of you Gill. Ii saw a lady on the news in Cheltenham can make a set of scrubs in an hour! I am nowhere near as fast and just feel so inadequate. I know that there are a huge amount of people doing this, and I'm sure very much faster than me.

      Delete
  3. Good for you! That is a huge contribution and will be so appreciated. You are the best. Stay well and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm proud of you for making PPE for your hospital workers, bravo! It looks like you did an amazing job, too. I hope you are all well and stay safe. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in to read my ramblings!
Please leave a comment ~ I do appreciate them.

Clicky Needles.