Scavenger Hunt

Monday 1 April 2019

San Diego I Love You

Hello All

Mr Clicky and me had a wonderful weekend in San Diego.   This was my first time to the west coast of America and I loved it.   The streets had palm trees as I had imagined and the sun shone.
There were beds of Bird of Paradise plants which smelt divine, unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to snap the hummingbird drinking the nectar.
We loved the beautifully sculptured street lights.
The first morning we awoke we found a huge cruise ship at the bottom of the street.
As San Diego is a port there is a rich maritime history.  We spent several hours aboard the USS Midway, an aircraft carrier decommissioned in 1992 now a museum.
There were all sorts of planes on the deck, juxtaposition to the shiny tower blocks behind.

The ship was vast.  There were more planes stored in the hangar deck.


We took the guided tour of the bridge or The Island as it is known in Navy terms.  Looking out you can see two currently serving aircraft carriers across the bay.

Through this porthole you can see the bridge over to Coronado Island which was to be our next destination.
We took the ferry over to the island and walked to the beach.  It was stunning.
The sand sparkled; I dipped my toes in The Pacific but it was a bit chilly!
We sat on the beach for a while watching groups of friends playing football and Frisbee and caught an Uber back across the bridge to our hotel.

The following day we took a bus to the zoo.  I'm not too sure about zoos but the panda sitting in a tree consuming a huge amount of bamboo was worth seeing.
The red panta was kind of cute too.

Animals aside, the park had some interesting flowers



and a cable car, which was pretty high. 

It afforded some amazing views back to the city.
Of course, we didn't spend all our time sightseeing, there was lots of good food, and cocktails in the sun.
Back on the harbour side we watched some mariners working in the rigging of a tall ship.
They were all on safety harnesses but working about 30 feet up balancing on a rope over the sea is not my idea of fun!
At sea level two sea lions had chased shoal of fish into a dead end and were dipping and diving around them.  They didn't even seem to be catching the fish just chasing them.




All too soon our Sunday night flight came around and at the airport there were some art installations.  This one of course, caught my eye.  It was mostly knitted with some crochet as well, it reminded me of jelly fish but maybe it wasn't at all.  Unfortunately there wasn't any information about it.

That trip was last weekend and this Saturday night saw me back at O'Hare checking in to fly back to Heathrow.  Mr Clicky dropped me off, and I bought a few bits and pieces in the shops and waited for my flight.  The plane arrived, incoming passengers disembarked and our crew boarded ready for the journey.  I waited and waited and then a tannoy announcement let the passengers know that there was a technical fault on the plane that was being worked on.  This amazing sunset kept people occupied for a while, but things were starting to get restless.
 I sat and knitted from the toe of my sock to the heel and we were offered a food voucher because of the long wait.  I found myself in the bar enjoying a gin and tonic (food? no!) with two fellow passengers and eventually we were told that our flight was cancelled.  By now it was 11pm and we were offered hotels and food vouchers.  

I called Mr Clicky and caught a taxi back to our apartment.  The alternative flight offered was 9am Sunday morning which wasn't too attractive (I'm not not keen on 4am rising) so we phoned British Airways in London and I'm now booked on a  Tuesday evening flight.  The waiting around at the airport was a drag but chatting with strangers good fun, and I am having a few unexpected days more here, not so bad.

That's me for now.  Next post, knitting news, not all good. 

Bye for now......................Clicky Needles.





























4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed San Diego. That really pretty bloom is a Flowering Maple.. we've had one before. I'm glad you had a few more days before you have to bid adieu to your husband. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in to read my ramblings!
Please leave a comment ~ I do appreciate them.

Clicky Needles.