Scavenger Hunt

Sunday 3 July 2011

In a Spin

Hello Folks!
The weather around these parts seems to be a little better ~ it's stopped raining and is dry at least ~ although it has been a bit sticky too.

I've had a lovely day.
My (cyber!) friend Little Red Dragon was staying with her family this weekend who live just around the corner from me. She had her spinning wheel with her and kindly offered me a go. Here is my first single ~ well I say mine ~ LRD had a lot to do with it!
Then we made another single and when plied together....
........Ta-Dah !!!
I really enjoyed making it. LRD suggested that I 'park and draught' as though I was using a drop spindle and it worked quite well for me.
The treadle foot motion I found ok ~ I learnt to sew on my Mum's (and her Mum's) Singer Treadle sewing machine. If you go backwards on that you break the thread, so you learn pretty quickly not to do that!
We had a lovely morning, sat in the garden talking fibre and knitting. The wheel is an Ashford Kiwi. LRD likes it because she says 'It's all lined up in front of you' having looked at other designs I see what she means. I thought it was very nice.
I watched LRD for a bit ~ she is very good.
She made this.
Isn't it beautiful?
She's planning a shawl with this ~ she's not going to ply it.
Whilst we sat in the garden we were surrounded by the beautiful scent of a Philadelphus.
The plants in their garden were all my sort of colours ~ pinks, blues and purples, it looked stunning, putting our slightly overgrown (and a bit weedy) garden to shame.
Thanks so much LRD for the lesson and to your family for making me so welcome.

When I got back Mr CN and me set to work on our garden and made it a bit better (in places.)
This rose "Geoff Hamilton" is producing loads of flowers and smells divine. It is in the border by my favourite place (on the patio in my steamer chair.)
Talking of which (the chair) it was occupied after this afternoon's gardening exertions by me and the Granny Square Baby Blanket. I'm now on the border, so expect a big Ta-Dah! soon.
Righto need to go now and check out the price of Spinning Wheels. :-)

Have a good week.
Byeeeeeeeeeeee.........................Clicky Needles.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh boy, welcome to the circle of spinning ladies! I can see one in your near future! Mine is all oiled and ready to go and I have some colored wool all set to spin. I will take photos and show you. Today I worked on tidying up my deck, cleaning the tables and things. Tomorrow is our 4th of July - Independence Day.. so it will be filled with parades and such.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know I am dead jealous of the spinning lesson and although invited, couldn't make it. I did however have a lesson at the Guild workshop and am just as enthused as you. Who knows - spinning might be our next venture!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet spinning can be very addictive once you get the hang of it. Love your blanket, can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I think spinning could be addictive - you'll have to give up work to do all these hobbies! Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in to read my ramblings!
Please leave a comment ~ I do appreciate them.

Clicky Needles.