Scavenger Hunt

Wednesday 11 March 2020

A New Project

Hello Folks.

Still no news on the lost iPad I'm afraid, we are still trying to contact the right people.  

I finished The Sewing Machine book, and found it to be enjoyable.  It is set across the life of the sewing machine from 1910 to the present day.  One of the characters makes and alters clothing using the machine in order to supplement her income.  Every project she has worked on she records in notebooks, using a scrap of material or lace or line of stitching, writing in, what it was, who it was for and what she got paid for it.  This got me thinking.  I am going to record the projects that I have made with my vintage machines in a similar way but I will also be recording which machine I made it on.  Watch this space!

I forgot to show you last time the wrap cardigan that I was making for my granddaughter, Baby Needles.  You might remember that I was making this Baby Needles to wear at her mum and dad's (Miss Clicky and Hubby) wedding day.  I was finishing it off as we getting the marquee ready for the big day and I lost it!   We couldn't find it anywhere.  As it was, it was a gloriously hot day and it wasn't needed.  Six months later and I happened to look in the boot of Master Clicky's car, and there it was.










I finished it off and, as it definitely won't fit Baby Needles any more I gave it to my hairdresser who is having a baby girl in two months time.






Mr Clicky has asked me to knit him a Fair Isle Jumper.  I don't think he had ever asked me to knit him anything so of course I said yes.  We had a long and drawn out process of finding a pattern and I have to thank my lovely knitting pal Romain who rifled through her patterns and sent my away with ideas and her own hand made yarn colour sticks of Jamieson and Smith shetland yarn for Mr Clicky to choose.

It took a while but he has settled on this pattern.  

 
He decided on these colours.  The lovely rich ginger is the main colour with the contrast of plum and peachy mix. 


I'm working bottom up; the ribbing was on 2mm needles and the stocking stitch is 3mm and the yarn is 4ply so slow going!




















This weekend Mr Clicky and me are on a Rail Trip.  We are taking The Amtrak Empire Builder Train from Chicago to Portland, Oregon a journey of 1750 miles.  We leave at lunch time on Thursday and arrive Saturday morning, staying in a cabin on the train for 2 nights, have 2 nights in Portland and then fly back again.  Whilst we are in Portland we are catching up with some bloggy friends.  ;-). I am tremendously excited about this trip, one I have been wanting to do for quite some time. 

Lastly a beautiful $1 hyacinth we bought in Walmart which is sending its delicate scent through our apartment.  It is becoming very heavy and is propped against the wall.















That's me for now, I'm off to pack for our trip.

Bye for now..........Clicky Needles



8 comments:

  1. The novel sounds intriguing as does your idea of tracking your crafting projects. I admire your beautiful stitching!! 🧶May you have a wonderful trip and get your iPad returned 🚞✈️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how much you enjoyed that book and your idea of keeping a journal of your projects and which machine is great! I think it's wonderful that your son wanted a sweater made by his beloved mum. He can treasure it forever. I am so looking forward to seeing how the fair isle pattern looks in your colors. Maybe he will model it for us!? Have a wonderful train trip, it sounds divine. :-) ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your husband will get lots of wear from that beautiful jumper when the wind blows off Lake Michigan thru the year but for the really cold weather an 8 ply would be warmer. There are lots of top down patterns like that, Tin Can Knits have some gorgeous ones that are easy.
    You could try out a top down for Baby Clicky ready for next Winter to see how that method works.
    A sewing journal of all your projects on various machines will be a fantastic record and little girls are such a joy to make for .
    With the warmer weather coming a good one is a cross over back, reversible top with matching pants (short or long) peeping out the back .....so cute ! I'm sure you can Google the pattern.
    Enjoy your train trip, be very careful germ wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had long discussions about the yarn weight he wanted! He decided he wanted warmth but not bulk, hence the Shetland Yarn. I am looking up patterns to make dresses for Baby Needles, watch this space!

      Delete
  4. Shame about the ipad...I hope it's sitting somewhere safe, waiting to be "found".

    Have fun in Portland - I dare you to leave Powells bookstore empty handed ;-) Oh, and if you find yourself near am amazing emporium called Cargo, do drop in and have a rummage. I still get their FB updates and find myself coveting a Boy Scout badge from the Philippines or something equally odd... ��

    Have fun on the train!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I only read your comment after we had left due to patchy wifi! Didn't find Powells..........next time.

      Delete
  5. The baby sweater is gorgeous. Hope you have a wonderful time on your trip. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in to read my ramblings!
Please leave a comment ~ I do appreciate them.

Clicky Needles.